« And The Winner of Dianne's Dishes Kids In The Kitchen Contest Is.... | Main | Vegetable Soup with Quinoa and Barley »

February 15, 2008

Baked Vegetable Chips With Dill

Baked Vegetable Chips With Dill

I have to admit I'm not a big fan of the conventional potato chip. They have always been too greasy and heavy for me. I do however like a good baked chip and decided to try my hand at making some baked vegetable chips. The result was heavenly!

This is the perfect, healthy alternative to regular old potato chips. You control the ingredients and the amount of fat you add, yet you end up with a crisp, satisfying chip that you'll want to make again! These chips are just perfect when you want to crunch! ;o)

What You'll Need:
Root vegetables (Note: For this batch I used a sweet potato, a large carrot and a rutabaga.)
Dried dill (Note: If dill isn't your thing you could use any other dried herb you like or leave out the herbs all together.)
Sea salt
Black pepper (Note: For this you want finely ground black pepper.)
Olive oil spray or other non-stick spray

Preheat oven to 200 F.

Thinly slice each vegetable into rounds. (Note: You can do this with a knife or a mandolin cutter. If you use the latter you can even make crinkle cuts.) Place cut veggies on a baking sheet that has been lined with parchment paper or a silicone baking sheet. Spray generously with olive oil or non-stick spray. Sprinkle with dill, sea salt and pepper.

Place try into your oven on the highest rack and bake for 1 hour. (Note: Keep an eye on the chips and make sure they aren't burning. If they appear too brown then lower them to a lower rack. The sweet potato will turn a lovely chocolate color as it bakes, but that doesn't mean it's burning.) After an hour move the pan to a lower rack and cook for an additional 30 minutes to an hour until chips are crisp. Remove from oven and let chips cool on the pan. Store in an air tight container.

Baked Vegetable Chips With Dill

Notes: The chips are really best served the day they are made. If they soften up a bit when you store them you can re-crisp them by putting them back in the oven for a bit.

Posted by Dianne at February 15, 2008 11:21 AM

Comments

Dumb question time: Our oven has some type of air ("luft") thing that I can turn on and air will circulate inside. Would using this make any difference? Maybe it would dry them out a little more and make them crispier?

Posted by: Rashunda at February 16, 2008 3:19 AM

I think you're on to something there. The air should make them more crisp and help in the drying process. I've never used that type of oven, but that's an awesome feature!

Posted by: Dianne at February 16, 2008 8:55 AM

Wow! You always come up with the neatest ideas! I love veggie chips, but I feel like the ones from the store are too greasy. I can't wait to try this!

Posted by: Allie at February 16, 2008 8:30 PM

Thanks Allie! I think it's a lot of fun to experiment and have fun in the kitchen. :o)

Posted by: Dianne at February 17, 2008 11:19 AM

I've been trying to make these all evening with guess work (slice, oil, oven)

Looks like I've been cooking too hot! (240oC!) Well, the were very crispy. And burnt. :(
Attempt no 3: 100oC (200oF)

Don't have any baking parchment though and my oven is fan only.

Or dill (just going to salt and pepper them when they are done)

Mandolin is definitely the way to go though. I love mine, it's the V one with the guard that can make julienne too.

Come on attempt no 3!! 8D

Jim.

Posted by: Jim at February 29, 2008 6:05 PM

I've been trying to make these all evening with guess work (slice, oil, oven)

Attempt no 3: 100oC (200oF)

Don't have any baking parchment though and my oven is fan only.

Or dill (just going to salt and pepper them when they are done)

Come on attempt no 3!! 8D

Jim.

Posted by: Jim at February 29, 2008 6:05 PM

I've been trying to make these all evening with guess work (slice, oil, oven)

Attempt no 3: 100oC (200oF)

Don't have any baking parchment though and my oven is fan only.

Or dill (just going to salt and pepper them when they are done)

Come on attempt no 3!! 8D

Jim.

Posted by: Jim at February 29, 2008 6:06 PM

Practice makes perfect they say! ;o) Hope they turned out ok. :o)

Posted by: Dianne at February 29, 2008 8:50 PM

Wow! These look great! I'm so glad you included them in your yearly round-up. I'll be trying these soon :)

I would love to write about your tasty chips on our blog! If you are interested send me an email!

Thanks!