« Garden Update: The Garden Is Going In! | Main | What's For Dinner? »

June 2, 2008

Steak Sandwich Done Right

Steak Sandwich: The Inside Goodness

When I attended the University of Tennessee in Knoxville and lived in the dorm there was a grill across the courtyard from my dorm that had the best (and the time the only) steak sandwiches I had ever had! The grill wasn't on my meal plan, but you had "bonus" dollars on most plans and those could be used there. A friend of mine and I would go down to the grill once a week or so and indulge. Given we had to walk a mile or so to class and then a mile or so back for many of our classes and we were usually walking quite quickly we easily burned off these splurges and I do mean splurge!

Let's take about these gut buster sandwiches why don't we? These sandwiches had lord knows how much fat and calories! The meat was cooked in butter and then if you added vegetables (I always had just mushrooms) then those were cooked in butter too. After that they'd slap down a little more butter and "toast" the bun on the grill and then put the whole thing together! And I'm not talking just a little butter, I'm talking like 1/4 of a cup at least for each thing that was "cooked" or as the case may be fried! Then we'd top it off with a large order of French fries. Oh my! I can hear my arteries hardening just thinking about all that butter! ;oP

As I have gotten older I just can't eat like that anymore. Over the past two years anything that has too much fat or if I eat too much fried stuff it just doesn't sit well. Plus who wants that much butter in a sitting? (OK...Maybe Ina or Paula Deen, but still! ;oP) Also I really worry about beef in general. I don't eat a lot of beef and I most definitely eat grass fed beef when I do. Mad cow anyone? I think not! It was time to take your basic steak sandwich and take it to a whole other level.

This sandwich actually uses a steak. It does not use that minute steak stuff, which I'm sure is not grass fed. Throw in some mushrooms, some provolone and serve it on some whole grain toasted bread and you've taken the standard, greasy steak sandwich and made it into something much lighter and much better for you. Who says you can't revamp something bad into something better?

What You'll Need:
1 - 1 pound grass fed steak
Extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Sliced mushrooms (optional)
Sliced onions (optional)
Sliced bell pepper (optional)
4 slices of whole grain bread, toasted
2 slices of Provolone cheese

Slice a 1 pound steak into thin strips. Place in a glass bowl and drizzle with some olive oil. Sprinkle with sea salt and black pepper and then toss to coat. Place bowl covered in the fridge for at least one hour.

Steak Sandwich: Steak Marinating

Preheat a large skillet over medium heat. Add a little olive oil and cook mushrooms, onion and pepper until just tender. (I used only mushrooms, but you can use all of them or none of them...It's completely a matter of taste.) Once vegetables are tender add steak and cook until the meat is done to your likeness. (I like mine medium.) Remove from heat.

Steak Sandwich: Steak and Mushrooms Cooking

To assemble the sandwich place the layer of meat/veggies onto a slice of toasted bread. Top with Provolone. Add any condiments that you like. (I like a little light mayo.) After the condiments top with the other slice of toasted bread. Cut in half and serve.

Steak Sandwich: Ready for Cheese

Makes 2 sandwiches.

Notes: This method would work with chicken too if you wanted. At the grill they served the sandwich on a hoagie bun. You could serve it on a whole grain bun if you liked. For a vegetarian version you could just use more mushrooms and/or other vegetables.

Posted by Dianne at June 2, 2008 8:22 AM

Comments

oh, man. Those were the best steak sandwiches! Ummm . . . happy food memories :)

Posted by: katherine at June 2, 2008 10:13 AM

I had forgotten that I took you to the grill too! I wonder if they still make them? I tried to find out on the web, but they don't have any info.

They do have a Starbucks on campus though. (And I don't mean near campus...It's on campus!) I remember back in the day we thought it was cool you could get a few different types of personal pan pizzas from the grill or even a few menu items from Taco Bell there too and you could use your bonus bucks to buy them.

Oh how times have changed! I wonder if you can use bonus bucks at Starbucks? ;o)

Posted by: Dianne at June 2, 2008 4:29 PM

I graduated from UTK too! What a small world! For the record, you can use bonus bucks at Starbucks. They had just opened about a year before I started there and I used MANY Bonus Bucks there!!

I never had a steak sandwich from the grill, but I hit up the Chick-fil-A over there all the time! When were you at UT?

Just wanted to stop in and say hello to a fellow Volunteer! GO VOLS!!

Posted by: Kimberly at June 3, 2008 12:34 PM

Just wanted to stop in and say hello to a fellow Volunteer! GO VOLS!!

Posted by: Kimberly at June 3, 2008 12:35 PM

Just wanted to stop in and say hello to a fellow Volunteer! GO VOLS!!

Posted by: Kimberly at June 3, 2008 12:36 PM

Just wanted to stop in and say hello to a fellow Volunteer! GO VOLS!!

Posted by: Kimberly at June 3, 2008 12:37 PM

OK...I don't know why it posted 3 times! Sorry about that! Feel free to delete a couple of those! ;)

Posted by: Kimberly at June 3, 2008 12:38 PM

Just wanted to stop in and say hello to a fellow Volunteer! GO VOLS!!

Posted by: Kimberly at June 3, 2008 12:39 PM

Posted by: Kimberly at June 3, 2008 12:40 PM

Just wanted to stop in and say hello to a fellow Volunteer! GO VOLS!!

Posted by: Kimberly at June 3, 2008 12:41 PM

Posted by: Kimberly at June 3, 2008 12:42 PM

It hangs up for some reason sometimes. :o)

I didn't actually graduate from UT, but I lived in the dorm for the 91-92 year and then again in the 92-93 year. Then I went back home for the 93-93 year and went back to UT but lived off campus for the 94-95 year. I lived in Knoxville for a couple more years and left in 1997. I actually didn't finish my degree until 2005 here in Maryland.

It's always good to hear from a fellow Tennessean though! :o)

Posted by: Dianne at June 3, 2008 3:37 PM