« Pan Seared Scallops | Main | What's For Dinner? »

July 28, 2008

Outrageous!

FYI

If you haven't heard about this yet go read...Seriously the "PR" chick needs some serious lessons in what PR actually is and Cook's Country/America's Test Kitchen/Cooks Illustrated needs to grab onto a big old grip of reality.

I don't think they've realized what they've done to themselves given food bloggers are (or were) their customers too and news passes quickly throughout the food blog community...

Posted by Dianne at July 28, 2008 12:50 PM

Comments

Wow. that was a very interesting blog post. I had kind of wondered about the copyright issues regarding posting recipes. There is all kind of hoopla in the knitting world regarding knitting patterns and sometimes I think it gets out of hand. There are only so many ways one can knit a pair of socks, you know?

Interesting stuff, indeed.

Posted by: Moni at July 28, 2008 3:51 PM

I just think CC/ATK/CI's reaction to the whole things is absurd. If I had someone like that doing my "PR" I'd fired them immediately. I mean with friends like that you don't need enemies at all!

Posted by: Dianne at July 28, 2008 3:55 PM

That's interesting. I remember seeing something like that on a Jamie Oliver Food Network recipe. Copywrited, no substitutions or modification allowed. So, I just searched epicurious and found something there.

Posted by: Karen at July 28, 2008 5:31 PM

Wow! I get a big kick out of tweaking a recipe and putting my own spin on it.

Posted by: Noelle Markus at July 28, 2008 9:25 PM

I think most cooks tweak. It's just part of the process. I also don't understand not sharing recipes, I never have. One of my biggest pets peeves ever is when you ask someone for a recipe of what they have made because you liked it so much and they tell you it's "a family secret" or something along those lines. Get over it! Share. You are being complimented by the fact that someone loves what you made. Not letting them continue to enjoy what you've made in their own home is just selfish. I've been known to figure out the recipe through trial and error, make it better and serve it back to them much to their surprise. ;oP

Posted by: Dianne at July 29, 2008 9:03 AM