« What's For Dinner? | Main | What's For Dinner? »

July 22, 2008

Slow Cooker Turkey Breast

Slow Cooker Turkey: Ready to Slice

If you've been a reader of Dianne's Dishes for a while you've seen me talk a lot about not heating up the oven that much during the summer. But not heating up your oven doesn't mean you have to give up foods you would normally cook there, it just means you find a different way to cook them and a slow cooker is a perfect way to do just that!

The other day I got a turkey breast from South Mountain Creamery and I decided to see how it would turn out in the slow cooker. I mean you can cook chicken quite well in a slow cooker so why not turkey? I must say even though in theory I thought it would work I was very pleased with the result! The breast was tender, juicy and overall just very delicious and the whole process was beyond simple! I'll most definitely be trying this again!

Another good thing about turkey is that you can do many things with the leftovers too! How about Turkey Avocado Salad or Turkey Noodle Soup or Turkey Salad...You can also use turkey in just about any recipe you would use chicken instead. How is that for versatile?

Slow Cooker Turkey

What You'll Need:
1 turkey breast (Note: I used one that had the bone.)
Extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper
Dried rosemary

Place turkey breast into the bowl of your slow cooker. Drizzle with olive oil. (Note: You want a few tablespoons max.) Flip the breast over to make sure you get olive oil on both sides. Sprinkle with sea salt, black pepper and dried rosemary. Place lid on slow cooker and turn heat to high. Cook for 6-7 hours.

Slow Cooker Turkey: Sliced

Halfway through the cooking process flip the breast once. Once cooked bring out of the slow cooker and let sit for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve immediately.

Slow Cooker Turkey: Leftovers!

Notes: Any dried herb you like will work. Thyme would be fabulous!

Posted by Dianne at July 22, 2008 7:26 AM

Comments

I'm so glad you tried this and posted. Now I'll give it a whirl. Thanks!

Posted by: Karen at July 22, 2008 11:00 AM

you know i've had some turkey breasts sitting in my freezer for ages, and I have had no idea how i want to make them. i think i'll try this. thanks for posting.

p.s. I miss you @ TWD!

Posted by: laura at July 22, 2008 12:11 PM

This sounds like a good idea, and while I'm not having heat up the house issues (cause my house is hot lately no matter what I do), this sounds like a good idea for a day when I won't be home but still need dinner. Thanks.

Posted by: Jenny at July 22, 2008 2:33 PM

Hope you guys enjoy it! We sure did! :o)

Posted by: Dianne at July 22, 2008 4:16 PM

Thanks for the recipe. I bought a turkey breast the other day, but didn't feel like heating up the oven. I put my turkey breast in the slow cooker this morning. I will let you know how it turns out. Again thanks.

Posted by: Melissa at October 30, 2008 8:55 AM

This is one of my favorite things to do in the slow cooker. Hope you enjoyed it! :o)

Posted by: Dianne at November 2, 2008 6:55 PM

Wow - what an easy way to do turkey --- I love it and it came out so flavorful and tender...very moist. Thanks so much!

Posted by: Donna Marie Fry at November 26, 2008 10:07 AM

Glad you liked it! This is one of my favorite slow cooker recipes of all time! :o)

Posted by: Dianne at November 26, 2008 8:44 PM

My brother inlaw is allergic to Gluton so i am always looking for new ways too cook holiday dinners .. most contain flour which is a no/no but this one sounds great and i love rosemary .. cant wait to try it !!
Happy Turkey Day !!

Posted by: booboosmommy at November 1, 2009 8:04 PM

My husband can't have gluten either. It can be rough!

Posted by: Dianne at November 2, 2009 1:58 PM

there are so many wonderful Gluten Free Products out there now. You just have to go out and experiment. I just found out I have Celiac at the age of 46 and am learning a whole new way of living and cooking. This is a great recipe. I love turkey.

Posted by: Candice at February 25, 2012 12:29 PM

My husband was a diagnosed with Celiac a few years ago. It takes a bit to get used to, but after a bit it all comes together and you know exactly what to look for and what to avoid. I'm a big fan of using my slow cooker. I often "roast" a turkey breast or even a whole chicken all day for dinner in the evening.

Posted by: Dianne at February 26, 2012 10:03 AM

Hi, I have some question's. I am not a big cook unless it comes with specific directions on the package. So for me cooking a turkey breast or any other meat is scary. I really want some Turkey. I've seen those boneless turkey breast's in the store wrapped up already, like a big turkey.

I think they are wrapped in some kind of twine too.

How long would I cook one of these on high?

Does the broth or water or wine have to cover the whole breast?

I hear some people use Poultry seasoning. I've never used this. I really want my turkey to taste like turkey. What do you suggest?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Christine

Posted by: Christine at March 12, 2013 3:49 PM

Hi Christine!

It will depend on the weight of the turkey. I always put one of those pop up turkey things in the breast and go by when it pops to know it's done. My guess would be for a normal sized breast 6-8 hours on low and 4-6 on high.

I actually don't use any liquid when I make them. I just brush the turkey with olive oil, sprinkle it with sea salt, black pepper, thyme and rosemary (or you can add which ever herbs you like, or like you said turkey seasoning) and then pop the lid on and cook. Sage is also a good turkey herb if you want a bit of that as well. Most poultry/turkey seasonings have thyme/rosemary/sage/etc. For me though I'm a purist when it comes to turkey and like it relatively simple. You can also stuff the cavity of the breast with onion, apple, herbs, etc.

The most important thing to remember is you can't go wrong with this. Just make sure your breast reaches the right internal temperature for turkey either by a pop up timer or by using a thermometer. I don't remember the exact temperature right off my head, but the FDA has information like that on their website. You can Google "proper turkey temperature" and find it easily.

I hope I helped! If there is anything else you can think of just let me know and I'll answer as best as I can. :)

Posted by: Dianne at March 13, 2013 5:05 PM