« What's For Dinner? | Main | What's For Dinner? »

January 14, 2009

Kettle Corn

Kettle Corn

Some time late last year I mentioned on Twitter that I had made some kettle corn and I got a lot of DMs asking me how I made it. Well ask and you shall receive...Even if it is a few months late! ;oP

Kettle Corn is really simple to make. You get a nice sweet corn, with even a few bits of caramel type corn from the bottom here and there. If you've had Kettle Corn at the fair and wondered how to make then you've come to the right place! So sit back, grab a cuppa something warm (it's cold out there!) and in no time you'll see how easy it is to make your own!

What You'll Need:
A large stock pot with a lid
2 heavy pot holders
1/4 cup of a light oil (Note: Sometimes I use light olive oil and sometimes I use safflower. Vegetable oil would probably work, though I'll readily admit I'm not a fan.)
1 cup of popcorn kernels
1/3 cup of organic cane sugar
Sea salt

In a large pot add your oil and 3 popcorn kernels, place the lid on top and turn the heat to medium/high. Place on the lid and listen for the kernels to pop.

While you're waiting for the kernels to pop in a small bowl mix popcorn and sugar. Set aside.

When the kernels pop you will know that it is time to add the popcorn/sugar mixture. The 3 test kernels usually pop within a minute of each other. If two of them have popped and roughly a minute later the 3rd one hasn't then it's probably dud. Proceed to the next step.

Once the test kernels have popped, quickly poor the sugar/popcorn mixture into the pot and recover the pot. Give it a quick shake using both pot holders to mix everything up and then wait for it to begin popping.

Shake the pot from time to time to ensure that it is heating through properly, especially after it starts popping. When the popping slows to no more than two or three pops every 5 seconds or more remove from heat and let sit for a minute to ensure that the popping has actually stopped.

Once you're sure the popping has stopped remove lid and sprinkle generously with sea salt. Pour into a glass bowl and enjoy!

Notes: I've often thought it would be fun to add in some honey roasted peanuts to the process, but I never think about it until after the fact.

Posted by Dianne at January 14, 2009 8:01 AM

Comments

Um um um - nothing like sugary salty popcorn! I made caramel corn over the holidays and it was delicious. But we'll have to give this a try as well!

Posted by: Megan at January 14, 2009 8:39 AM

Ahhh thats how I used to make it before I discovered microwavable popcorns! How I miss those days making it.

Posted by: noodlegirl at January 14, 2009 9:52 AM

I love kettle corn and am always buying different brands to try but yuck, they are never good.

Thanks for passing along the recipe and "how to"!
~ingrid

Posted by: ingrid at January 14, 2009 10:43 AM

Megan, I like the salty/sweet mix of this. It's probably why I love honey roasted nuts too for that matter!

Noodlegirl, I stopped using the microwavable popcorns a few years ago due to preservatives and stuff, but I am curious to try popping it in a brown paper bag. I haven't tried it yet though, but I read about it on blogs and stuff.

Ingrid, hope you enjoy it if you do try it! It's one of my and Lex's favorites!

Posted by: Dianne at January 14, 2009 2:02 PM

yum . . . we just made some and are having it for snack. :)
note to self: don't let your 3-year-old shake the salt -- makes for a very salty treat!
speaking of which -- about how much salt (if you measured it) do you think you usually use? I was thinking I could pour it into a measuring cup for him to shake over the corn for next time . . .

Posted by: Katherine at January 14, 2009 5:18 PM

I've never actually measured the salt...I just add a generous pinch, but I'm not sure how much it would be. Alexis usually does the salting part. Good question! I'll try to remember to gauge it next time we make it!

Posted by: Dianne at January 14, 2009 7:23 PM

I just made this again this weekend (made it last weekend too). This time, when it was done, I spread some out on a cookie sheet lined with parchment, and drizzled melted chocolate over it. When it cooled, it was the best snack ever! I'm addicted to Lesser Evil popcorn. This is just as good and so much less expensive! I'm SO glad you put up this recipe. I can't wait to take some to my writing group this week.

Posted by: Allie at January 24, 2009 4:40 PM

Oh wow...That sounds fabulous! I'm going to have to try that sometime!

Posted by: Dianne at January 25, 2009 6:15 PM

I love making kettle corn! Glad to hear you're spreading the love to making popcorn the old-fashioned way!

Posted by: Chiot's Run at January 18, 2010 9:06 AM

Nothing beats the old fashioned way when it comes to pop corn! :o)

Posted by: Dianne at January 20, 2010 3:34 PM